If you want to drop 20 lbs in a month, please read this article.
The weight loss industry is huge with Americans alone spending more than $60 billion annually on diet programs, supplements and diet foods according to market research conducted by Marketdata (source).
The World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that there are more than 1 billion overweight adults in the world, and more people are added to the number on a daily basis.
An overweight person is someone with a body mass index (BMI) of 25kg/m2 or higher. If a person has a BMI of 30 or higher, the person will be categorized as obese.
Being overweight can cause serious health problems including, but not limited to, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, kidney disease and pregnancy problems.
It is therefore important to monitor and manage your weight properly. Losing weight can be difficult, and it is not always easy to find the time to exercise on a daily basis.
Determine where you are
Before starting to look at diet plans and weight loss programs, it is important to first determine your basic metabolic rate. The basic metabolic rate (BMR) is an indicator of the number of calories that your body burns a day when at rest.
- Women – 655 plus (4.35*current weight) plus (4.7*height) minus (4.7*age in years.)
- Men – 66 plus (6.23*current weight) plus (12.7*height) minus (6.8*age in years.)
The next step will be to determine your activity level:
- If you do no exercise – 1.2
- If you perform light exercise up to three times a week – 1.375
- If you perform moderate exercise up to five times a week – 1.55
- If you perform heavy exercise six days a week – 1.725
- If you perform intense exercise – 1.9
To determine your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE), multiply your BMR with your activity level. The formula will provide you with the number of calories that you burn daily to maintain your current weight.
If you want to lose weight, you need to burn more calories daily through a combination of exercise and healthy eating.
How to drop 20 lbs in a month
The only healthy way to drop 20 lbs. in a month and not put it back on again is through a combination of exercise, healthy eating and self discipline.
Do not expect to go from no exercise to intense exercise in a week or less. You should take your current activity level and physical condition into account when developing your action plan.
Start things slow and continue to build-up your activity levels as much as possible, without overextending yourself. Remember that any increase in your activity level, whether small or big, will result in the burning of more calories.
- Cardio exercises are the best way to burn fat and calories. Activities such as tennis, boxing, running, swimming and boxing are good cardio exercises to perform. One of the best cardio programs is a program with short interval high-intensity exercises and recovery breaks.
- If you want to lose 20 lbs. in a month, you need to consider adding weight training to your program for a couple of days every week.
- Taking daily walks is a great low-intensity way to improve your activity levels.
Healthy Eating Habits:
- Eat low-calorie filling food such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts and fiber on a daily basis.
- Remove the skin from chicken and trim the fat from meat. Do not add high-calorie items such as butter or bread crumbs to your meal.
- Stay away from deep fried and consider rather steaming your food.
- Drink as much water as possible right through the day. By drinking water your appetite will diminish and your body will get rid of more toxins.
More Ideas and Information:
- It has been proven in a study conducted by Harvard that people that sleep for five hours or less a night are more likely to become overweight.
- Using large bowls or plates may result in larger portions. People often mistakenly believe that they are eating smaller portions than what they actually are due to the perception created by larger plates or bowls.
- Do not exclude dairy from your diet. Canadian researchers have found that people that follow a high-dairy diet lost more weight than those that cut dairy from their diets.
- Low-carb diets will help you lower your body weight.
- Stay away from soft drinks and drink water with your meals and throughout the day.
There is no easy way to lose weight and you need to be disciplined and committed.
By eating healthy, cutting processed foods and sugar from your diet, exercising and staying active you will lose weight and improve your health. Crash diets are dangerous and can negatively impact on your health, rather lose weight the healthy way.